Monday, January 28, 2008

Looking ahead a decade or more isn't any fun

Parag Khanna, pictured to the left, gives us Waving Goodbye to Hegemony which appeared in the The New York Times Magazine yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of The New America Foundation, his employer, as they are surely globalists. Still, they are plenty sharp. As Senior Research Fellow and Director for the Global Governance Initiative, Mr (soon to be Dr.) Khanna appears well qualified to look down the road. I worry about some of his perceptions and suggestions yet he offers much to ponder.

Jeffery Goldberg's After Iraq is in The Atlantic, another globalist (and at times rather neo-conservative) leaning periodical that I still often find compelling. And the fact they've dropped their subscriber wall is simply wonderful. Goldberg references David Fromkin's A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East which I've now added to my Amazon Wish List. I appreciate Goldberg's take on Southwest Asia. Again, lots to think about!

Both of these pieces, not to mention Dr. Fromkin's work, are long, tough slogs. And they don't distill easily into talking points or pithy postings. I'm better for reading what these two men shared. Where were these voices before Bu$hCo's adventurism into Iraq? P/W

No comments: