Monday, January 28, 2008

Highlander of the Day ~ Oklahoma's Tom Coburn

Have I lost my mind? If my conservative family members drop by for radicalism from the black sheep, they, especially a niece's hubby whom I recall singing Coburn's praises at least once, might be pleased to see me looking at Tom in a positive light. Given his social conservatism and just plain oddness, it is indeed difficult for me to find much to like about the good doctor. "Locked, loaded, and loony" is how the NYT described him just this past August on one of his many roles as "Dr. No".

However, in Warren P. Strobel's reporting for McClatchy, namely Bush's plan for a Civilian Reserve Corps stalls, i learn that Senator Coburn has "blocked legislation permitting the State Department to spend the money" as he is "angered over the performance of the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development in Iraq and Afghanistan and wants funds and responsibility to remain with the military."

Given The Rise of Disaster Capitalism, we'll take help anywhere we can get it. Careful Senator, The Heritage Foundation and similar outfits are watching. P/W

No comments: