Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bu$hCo's Crusade Against Conservatism Continues

Dubyah is pictured on his recent trip to Southwest Asia with a Suadi Prince of some sorts. Getting into the Bu$h Dynasty's relationship with the Saudis is tempting yet I'll push on. If I were handling him I'd have tried to avoid the sword shot yet that's another topic as well. Social graces when with a host might explain. Or Dubyah could just be unaware of the symbolism of this image?

I accept that many on the right claim Shrub is hardly a "conservative". He was however packaged and propped up around the construct I'd counter. Whatever he and the balance of Bu$hCo stands for, and I think it is/was mostly all about Corporatism on steroids, with "movement conservatism" being what Rove and other early enablers were geared for, with neo-Conservatives via the Cheney cabal and ... surely at the table, this proposed economic stimulus package, the details still being murky, flowing out of the White House seems hardly conservative.

Now I don't think it Keynesian, as apparently does the WSJ, mostly as that idea don't seem to jive with me when we live in such a globalized world. Plenty of people I'm reading worry that our consumer-oriented society is just going to spend the money with China and then Uncle Sam will turn around and have to borrow more from there and other unsavory sources as we continue to grow the deficit. Peter Navarro has raised several concerns about China in his recent book and elsewhere yet today's San Francisco Chronicle piece examines this in relation to the stimulus package and I'm interested in what the Professor offers up.

My bottom line is that structural responses to what ails us, and much does folks, rather than a simple solution like Bu$h Stimulus 2.0, are necessary. Those few true Progressives up in DC might not be able to get what we need now yet I'll hope they'll be talking and writing and ... I'll not count on the media doing their part yet we'll want to seek out voices and words that speak truth and then promote them with vigor.

As we do this, destroying the false promises of "conservatism" is a bonus. I'm all about keeping government efficient and trimming waste yet as a Progressive the idea of good government is perfectly palatable. We can't however hope to have an effective system when we are so cash strapped as to not be able to meet needs. Bu$hCo's reckless spending and war making, plus the policies of his GOP Rubber Stamp Congress, has made it all the more difficult for those that will follow to be effective leaders. We've got a long row to hoe as a nation and world in getting past this President and the last thirty plus years of "conservatism". Is this period of probable crisis not an ideal time to start the work? P/W

No comments: