Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Republican Principles ... Lying to Congress

Glenn Greenwald, moving over to Salon during my lengthy absence from the blogosphere, reminds us "Lying to Congress has become a Republican principle, literally". Since a good portion of the work was built off the Reagan administration this really resonated with me in that I've been thinking how the GOP is looking for a Reaganesque candidate for 2008. Even locally I often hear some unreconstructed Reaganites, bolstered some by his recent death I'll suppose.

While I can't imagine it ever being worse than Bu$hCo, I also think about how my Old Daddy would have likely said the same thing about Nixon and perhaps even Reagan. From my study of history we've been backing up pretty much since the Reagan years, perhaps even earlier, so to have all this nostalgia worries this country boy.

In a related find, I'll send you to Terry J. Allen, writing for Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting in the fall of 2001 (presumably before September 11th, an event this merry band of neo-cons and other scoundrels have milked for all they could!) "Scandal? What Scandal? Bush's Iran-Contra appointees are barely a story" of how the media was ignoring the formation of this radical administration. As a bonus, there is a grand summary of some of the dirty dealings and tricks of this bunch of outlaws from way back in the day.

Progressives should, as Josh Marshall suggests, craft our messages around respect for the "Rule of Law" and guarding against "creeping authoritarianism" as we try to bring our nation back from the edge. Peace ... or War!

No comments: