Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Outlander of the Day ~ Rep. DuWayne Bridges

Having a bit of a boot fetish perhaps, I'll 'fess up to stopping by his Bridges/Perlis every once in while to look at kickers. I don't think I've ever bought anything there beyond maybe a bottled water. Truck stop, western wear, antiques ... DuWayne is an entrepreneur. In fact heading down to Auburn-Opelika through Cussetta has become a good alternative to dodging deer on the Gold Hill route. Some pretty land either way I'll argue.

Back to DuWayne, I've noted the loud gospel music in his shop. For the record, the ladies working in the western store are some of the nicest folks I've ever met. I knew DuWayne was a rather religious fellow yet the following statement shocked me. I'll give you some context as well, with his quote emphasized, from Bob Johnson's reporting.

Hinshaw received a warmer re­ception than he has in past years for similar legislation that would have forced nonprofit organizations to disclose the source of funding to influence votes on issues such as creating a lottery or tax increases. That bill elicited a negative re­sponse from some lawmakers, who said the bill was aimed at forcing the Alabama Christian Coalition to disclose the sources of its money.

Several lawmakers questioned Hinshaw at length Thursday about whether this bill would force churches to disclose the names of contributors.

"I want to make sure we are not restricting any religious freedom," said Rep. DuWayne Bridges, R-Val­ley. "I just want to make sure the Bible is not being trampled on by this bill or any other bill."

"All this bill addresses is if someone goes into your district and tries to influence your election, they have to disclose," Hinshaw said.


Good Lord DuWayne! I thought you were representing the folks around Valley yet I guess you are working for a higher power. Good GOP man that you are, protecting the Alabama Christian Coalition might be a bonus. I've often posted on the ACC. They are doing a fair amount of trampling of the Bible that I'm familar with yet it's nice to know where you stand. If you're defending the ACC you are likely more concerned with the Big Mules that have trampled on the little man in Alabama. If you really are this much of a fundamentalist so that you figure you are getting paid to protect the Bible from law and/or actually believe the ACC is legit then you need a boot on your behind. The 1901 Constitution that allows this to so easily be done here in Alabama will not so easily be preserved once Joe and Jill Sixpack know who's paying ACC's bills. Peace ... or War!

No comments: