Saturday, May 17, 2008

A good article ... but then there's Newt

The above shows Newt back in the day being given lessons on the Stryker. If I were his truck commander I'd be happy to tell him something over the Bose headsets! I'm reading Ben Evans in The Montgomery Advertiser telling Democrats aim for gains in South and I suddenly step in some Newt. Ben writes,

Newt Gingrich, the former Republican House speaker from Georgia who helped the GOP seize control of Congress in 1994, credited Democratic strategists for shifting their message.

The Democratic winners so far have addressed social issues head-on, boasting of their conservative positions on abortion, gay marriage and gun rights, for example, while hammering Republicans for misguided leadership on the economy and the war in Iraq.

"I think they learned that if they remained a hard-left, anti-gun, anti-prayer, pro-abortion, weak-on-defense party they were never going to have a chance to get back in the majority," Gingrich said.

I love it when hard right GOP hacks are called on to explain what the Democratic Party represents. I do accept that Newt's Contract on America was a decent scam yet this goober represents so much of what is wrong with our politics. What Ben Evans wrotes was rather solid nevertheless. That he writes of Nixon's "Southern Strategy" speaks well of him. John Gunn

No comments: