Wednesday, June 14, 2006

In search of ... A decent Progressive slogan?

While Russ Feingold has consistently proven he is a wise man in his understandings and always seeking answers to current concerns, his Progressive Patriot effort served up some serious ideas just today. I got an email that reads largely in part as follows:

Today is Flag Day, a day when we embrace our American heritage and salute the accomplishments of our forefathers. I think this is an appropriate time to begin a discussion of what it means to be a patriot in America today. For too long, our political leaders have wrapped themselves in the flag as a way to evade criticism and attack dissent. It's time we, as Progressive Patriots, celebrate the idea that love for your country means honoring the freedoms for which our founders fought, it means taking responsibility for improving our country, and it should always mean standing up to those who would weaken us.

I am a Progressive Patriot because I believe we can, and must, fight the terrorist threat while also protecting the freedoms that make us Americans. It's important to remember The Bill of Rights and the Constitution were not repealed on 9/11.

I am a Progressive Patriot because I believe that our health care crisis can not be solved with marginal ideas like health savings accounts. I believe all Americans should have a guarantee of access to quality, affordable health care.

I am a Progressive Patriot because I believe Democrats are the true fiscal conservatives who have demonstrated the ability to be responsible caretakers of public funds.

I am a Progressive Patriot because I believe that we need an "Apollo" style commitment to reducing our reliance on foreign oil and developing alternative energy sources.


Today's WaPo E.J. Dionne, Jr. piece entitled "In Search Of a New New Deal : How Will the Good Jobs Of the Future Be Created?" likewise spoke of the future. Dionne is generally always dead on in his thinking and writing. Good read! I especially liked this portion:
... Historically, voters turn away from conservative free-market politicians after they conclude that capitalism needs help in living up to its commitment to create widely shared abundance. After World War II, voters in rich countries entered a social democratic bargain in which capitalism became the bedrock of the economy but was tempered by a large public sector and a unionized industrial sector that provided social insurance, education, pensions and health care. ...
Finally, the Center for American Progress is holding a summer convention labeled "Take Back American 2006" for Lefty types. Although I'd have loved to go, and pondered long and hard about actually making the trip to DC, the budget simply doesn't allow such adventures. However, I can get nearly the same information by keeping wired in. It would have been nice to meet a few other folks motivated by the same or similar concerns that I have however. Still, I can find some measure of comfort in being able to access information from here in The Highlands. Today's favorite was Robert Redford dealing with The Apollo Challenge.

The bottom line is that we Lefty Progressives are always seeking. The New, New Deal is just a part yet I think I good start. Peace ... or War!

No comments: