Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Boss is Ticked & Tickled with Soledad O'Brien

Bruce Springsteen appeared on The Today Show recently. A video and transcript is available via Think Progress. It does often seem the parody "journalists" like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert often do a better job than real ones. To have Sir Bruce getting a little silly seems appropriate in that his contributions are questioned after The Today Show and The Tonight Show both gave Ann Coulter a forum pretending she was a real authority. Interview gems for me, with my emphsis supplied, were
O - ...some people gave you a lot of flack for being a musician who took a political stand. I remember…
S - Yeah, they should let Ann Coulter do it instead.
O - ... says that musicians ... go play your music and stop.
S - Well, if you turn it on, present company included, the idiots rambling on on cable television on any given night of the week, and you’re saying that musicians shouldn’t speak up? It’s insane. It’s funny.
O - ... if there is a concern that you start talking about politics, you came out ... and said, ... the country would be better off if George Bush were replaced as President. Is there a worry where you start getting political and you could alienate your audience?
S - Well that’s called common sense. I don’t even see that as politics at this point. So I mean that’s, you know, you can get me started, I’ll be glad to go. […] You don’t take a country like the United States into a major war on circumstantial evidence. You lose your job for that. That’s my opinion, and I have no problem voicing it. ...
I just wish some of the Democratic Party leadership would follow this approach. Maybe the Boss could be a consultant. Can't imagine he'd do a poorer job than some they've used lately. Peace ... or War!

No comments: