Monday, February 25, 2008

Two Million Minutes ~ U.S. High Schools vs. ...


Up front I'll take some exceptions with Two Million Minutes (so named for the approximate time a high school student has over their four years)and some of the ideas of Robert A. Compton. First of all, his emphasis on math and science bothers this (note I'll not use "former" here!) history/social studies teacher. I agree those subjects are critical and yet my subjects, and literature and various other humanities as well, help create whole, thinking young people. Also, his focus might rely too much on measures and standards and the like. Once again ... you can hardly objectively measure if you taught a kid to think! Or reason! Or be creative! Or ...

I also am troubled somewhat by the competition and business orientation to his film. I doubt I'd "Bangalore[my] Business" if I ever got one yet I'd listen to a fellow that has been in the fray. Do you think he'd listen to an educator on education? Often when a "business" brain looks at my profession I get a little frustrated. Truly the conversation seems a little one sided when the capitalists come to the classroom. Without seeing the film I just can't get a handle on Mr. Compton.

With all that out of the way, I still want to watch the thing and expect I'll enjoy and find much that is positive. I suppose our schools reflect our culture. Comparing ours with the rising middle class of India and China will I'm sure reflect that their kids are doing a whole lot more with their two million minutes than ours. I can't help but think of that last Civics class I had where an exchange student from Japan and a recent immigrant from India just flat out whipped all those many, many redneck kids from Heard County, Georgia. Then again, some of the students that actually learned didn't always demonstrate this by jumping through the hoops in the way I had to ask them to do so as to have fair and objective standards.

My bottom line is that I've been in the trenches with these kids and have an idea that Mr. Compton's thinking is far more right than wrong. If nothing else, it looks clever and well filmed. More to come perhaps if and when I get to see the film. Comments as always are appreciated yet especially so if anyone has anything to add on the documentary. John Gunn

No comments: