Monday, February 04, 2008

Captain Plaid comes out of the closet

I'm shedding skins once again I suppose. The "Peace ... or War!", lately merely "P/W", signature is no more. Also the "Outlander and/or Highlander of the Day" is being put in the stable. I might use something like this to designate dastardly or dynamic deeds as they arrive but I'll feel no requirement to post one on each and every day. And I might not even feel it necessary to even post on every single day. I've tasks to accomplish related to taxes, learning, record keeping, etc. I'd rather just not post that do it halfway. I do enjoy blogging and don't worry about traffic, at least not much. The process helps me think and it is good cheap therapy I suppose. And in the spirit of therapy I'm revealing who I am. Most know but for those that don't ...

I'm John Gunn. I'm the proud papa of a fine twelve year old boy. You can see us above. I was born and raised on a little cattle farm just north of Roanoke, Alabama yet I briefly lived with a sister down in Clayton. I also consider Auburn "home". War Damn Eagle! As part of an odd mid-life crisis I decided to become an infantry soldier this past summer at the ripe old age of 41. I've been posted to Fort Lewis, Washington since this past October. I've done everything from teaching to practicing law to helping with political campaigns to punching cows to cutting timber to ... The bottom line is that I can do pretty much anything and like to think this ability to do good work in a wide variety of tasks is a suitable measure of a man.

My mother died in 1979 when I was but thirteen. My father died in 1998. Cancer got them both. I miss them something terrible. My son's mother divorced me in 1999 and it darned near did me in yet I lived to love again.

My interests include cooking, pouring, gardening, whitewater kayaking, fly fishing, traditional archery, backpacking/hiking, building, ... I love to work. I love to learn. I am a proud Progressive. I am rather secular as to faith. I joke that I'm a "recovering Southern Baptist" yet my dog tags read "Unitarian Universalist".

In the summer of 2006 I worked for Senator Russ Feingold's Progressive Patriot Corps and was eventually farmed out to the Jerry McNerney for Congress campaign in California's 11th. When I arrived in Dublin/Pleasanton just after Labor Day Jerry was down by 11% yet he won by 6%! Sending Richard Pombo back to the ranch was due to hard work of many people yet I'm proud to have done my part. I continue to seek out ways to advance Progressive ideas. I try to attend both the Drinking Liberally social events in Olympia and Tacoma. I am presently looking for a good Congressional or even state race to help out. Any ideas?

This blog is a way for me to have a "place" in this world perhaps. I like to be able to share my thoughts and appreciate folks dropping by. Please challenge me when you think I'm wrong but also let me know when I've got it right. Thanks for visiting! John Gunn

UPDATE - Evening of February 4th, 2008 - I just found this Progressive Connection entry from Babaloo referencing my work on the McNerney campaign. I'm touched. Thanks!

No comments: