Saturday, April 12, 2008

Ronald Brownstein ~ His book & Iraq's bottom line

Ronald Brownstein's The Second Civil War: How Extreme Partisanship Has Paralyzed Washington and Polarized America is pictured the the left. The review of the book by Professor Alan Brinkley, a solid historian indeed, which appeared in the NYT suggested to me he might be reaching to lay much blame on the Democratic Party via illustrations from Daily Kos. As a Kossack, I'm hardly thinking the whole of those visiting and posting are extreme. And Dr. Brinkley's point that the GOP's actual leaders are much more partisan than those on "the left" is surely well taken. I think Progressives will only end the ability of the right wingers to get away with their extremism when we confront them assertively. Truly lefty pols can call BS on the GOP and still be ready to reach reasonable compromises. Still, Brownstein's book now appears on my Wish List.

I knew this book was out there, and I've followed some of Brownstein's past writings, yet I was motivated to do some digging on him after reading his MSNBC/National Journal piece titled The bottom line on Iraq: How much is America willing to spend to try to stabilize Iraq? That my son and other young people will be paying for the "Reign of Error" that has been Bu$hCo is bothersome enough yet I especially appreciated how Brownstein pointed out how General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker's somber caution contrasted with the somewhat chirpy optimism of McCain" in last weeks hearings. John McSame is appearing all the more willing to follow in the tradition of Dubyah's denials. Can we afford much more? John Gunn

No comments: