Friday, July 28, 2006

Digby Does Dickey - Paper tigers without morality

I bought this Christopher Dickey book at a local second hand shop but have not yet tackled. I expect this one will be a tough one given my relationship with my Old Daddy. We had time for some healing before my Dad checked out yet I'm expecting there will be some serious emotions turned over once I do read. I've long been a fan of father and son but Christopher Dickey is doing especially grand work via his Newsweek "Shadowland" effort. Digby send us to a recent Dickey column entitled "Let It Bleed" and then turns his wicked writing to an analysis as follows:

I'm not sure I really get why the US and Israel haven't yet come to terms with the fact that this fourth generation war cannot be won with classic military action. I suspect it is the neocon influence which, throughout many decades, never gave a passing thought to terrorism or assymetrical warfare. They have been stuck in a cold war mindset (a mindset that was wrong about the cold war too) and have consistently seen the world through the prism of rogue totalitarian states. This is why, in spite of the fact that everything is going to hell in a handbasket in a hundred different ways, they persist in focusing on Iran (formerly Iraq) and ignoring all the moving parts that make their aggressive plans to "confront" these regimes simpleminded and doomed to failure.

For Israel and the US it couldn't be worse. They have systematically chipped away at any moral authority they had while demonstrating that their military, diplomatic and economic power are paper tigers. What an excellent strategy for all concerned. Oh, and too bad about all the dead bodies that have been produced to create that sad outcome.

This "War President" and his cabal of enablers have truly created a world that is going to require some grown ups to repair. Peace ... or War!

No comments: