Saturday, August 19, 2006

Childhood in Nixon to Adulthood in Bu$hCo

I've been thinking lately about how my earliest memories of my Old Daddy and politics was watching him fuss and fume as Watergate imploded the Nixon White House. As an aside, I heard Nixon described recently as our last liberal President (I've read about his drug policy that was rather liberal in that it was pragmatic in seeking solutions rather than soundbites!) and to think Tricky Dick has been rehabilitated by Bu$hCo seems odd. I'm forty and have lived a fair amount yet I think I made the turn during these Bu$h years. My son might have memories of his Old Daddy fussing about Bu$hCo?

I like how Glenn Greenwald points out how the courts are starting to push back against Bu$hCo. Glenn writes:
Thus, judicial decisions are starting to emerge which come close to branding the conduct of Bush officials as criminal. FISA is a criminal law. The administration has been violating that law on purpose, with no good excuse. Government officials who violate the criminal law deserve to be -- and are required to be -- held accountable just like any other citizens who violate the law. That is a basic, and critically important, principle in our system of government. These are not abstract legalistic questions being decided. They amount to rulings that our highest government officials have been systematically breaking the law -- criminal laws -- in numerous ways. And no country which lives under the rule of law can allow that to happen with impunity.
While I'd like to see the whole lot in jail, at least censure becomes more relevant! Paging Senator Feingold. Worst administration ever. Peace ... or War!

No comments: